netgear cards?

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Tue Aug 14 17:22:33 EST 2001

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 05:00:48PM +1000, Steven Hanley wrote:
> All
>
> Earlier on this list someone noticed netgear 802.11b netgear equipment being
> sold at harveynorman for somewhat inflated prices. I notice Cougar now has
> that same hardware available for a much better price.
>
> However I am unable to find mention on this list or on
> http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux of netgear. I am
> wondering if anyone knows if this stuff works in linux? Is it something nice
> like simply a rebadged Cisco Aironet card or Lucent Orinoco card?

No idea, but I'd like to hear if you find out.

> Also, David, if you are reading this, have you done any work at getting the
> DWL 650 to work? (just curious, if so I can upgrade to a recent 2.4 kernel
> (like 2.4.8) otherwise I can take a look myself (I am guessing it just
> initialises a little bit differently to the currently supoorted caards and
> will work like a normal Prism II otherwise.)

As far as I know there isn't anything special about the DWL-650
compared to other Prism cards.  The troubles Anthony was having were
due to the changes in v0.08 firmware which is now handled by a patch
from William Waghorn.  Note that several things (including WEP) are
not supported on any of the Prism II cards.

--
David Gibson			| Microsoft: Making the easy things hard
david at gibson.dropbear.id.au	| and the hard things buggy