write acces when mounting lan's filesystems.

javier garcia andresjavier.garcia at wanadoo.es
Fri Jan 3 15:45:13 GMT 2003

Hi; I've got Linux and samba installed in two PC's of our lan. The rest of
the computers have Windows2000 installed.
The PC's with Windows2000 can browse my Linux shares perfectly with Windows
Explorer, and I can print from Linux to a Windows client printer.
I can connect  with 'smbclient' to a windows client and see its content, and
also to each of the other linux computer and see the shares of both of them
from each other.
All this makes me quite happy :->

My problem is about mounting and browsing the net from the Linux PC's:
1) Between both Linux computer, I am using also samba to communicate between
these to computers. Is this the better way?
2) I'm using konqueror to browse and in the address bar I write
lan://IP-of-the-others-PC but the connection fails. Is this correct or I
always need to mount the destination filesystems before I can see them in a
browser?
3) I've also tried to use smbmount in this way:
 smbmount //HP-Javier/publDoc /mnt/publdoc
and give the samba password. It mounts right but when I try to add (write -
when browsing with konqueror) a file to the remote linux PC the access is
denied. I'm sure that the user has write access allowed to hits folder. Why
this?
4) I've also mounted, in the same way, a whole NTFS filesystem of a remote
windows2000 PC, and I can browse it right in konqueror, but I haven't got
write access. And write access is allowed to my user in the windows 2000 PC.
Is the same question that the previous one, but perhaps the solution is
different. Isn't it?
5) And last. There are any restrictions to mount and access lan's
filesystems, through samba, based on the owner of the folders?

Thank you for your help and Happy New Year.
---------
A. Javier García
Water and Soil Conservation Department
CEBAS-CSIC