[Samba] Upgrade DC from 4.7 to 4.19

Bjoern Trimborn samba at bjoern-trimborn.de
Sat May 18 17:31:38 UTC 2024

Hi,

My Experience: Last year, I performed an "emergency" upgrade of 3
domains, in a school district, from version 4.7 (self-compiled) to 4.18
(Debian 12). By setting up a new Domain Controller (DC), joining to the
domain, transferring all FSMO roles, and finally demoting the old one.

The upgrade went nearly flawlessly, except for one DC where I had to
follow the "Demoting an Offline Domain Controller" procedure described
in the wiki: https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Demoting_a_Samba_AD_DC.