[Samba] Upgrade DC from 4.7 to 4.19

Peter Milesson miles at atmos.eu
Sat May 18 16:17:23 UTC 2024

Hi Hajdu,

I have upgraded a few domains the way you want to go. I have also
upgraded an existing DC, once. Lots of hazzle, not worth the trouble.
It's a snap to create VMs, configure the new DCs, sync them with the
existing ones, migrate the FSMO roles to one of the new DCs, and then
demote the old DCs. But I don't think it's a good idea to keep the names
of the old DCs. You're probably in for a few surprises in that case.

If you haven't a really huge network with lots of machines with static
IPs, it should be quite painless to change /etc/resolv.conf on Linux
members, and update the adapter settings on Windows servers that have
got static addresses. Changing DNS addresses in a DHCP server should be
trivial.

Just my opinion, I wish you good luck.

Peter