[Samba] Upgrade DC from 4.7 to 4.19

Hajdu Szabolcs hajduszabolcs at ms.sapientia.ro
Sat May 18 13:01:43 UTC 2024

Hello,

I have two Samba DCs currently on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS with Samba version
4.7 I would like to move to Ubuntu 24.04 LTS with Samba version 4.19.

I don't want to do in place upgrade and iterate trough software versions
I think there is to many changes. I thought I demote one DC give all
FSMO rolls to the other do a clean install with the newer version then
rejoin the domain keeping the schema level Win2008 R2 until all servers
are upgraded. Can this method work? stepping down each server one by one
then rejoining with the newer Samba version with the same server name
plus changing the smb.conf file with new directives. I saw there are
major upgrades in Samba between 4.7 to 4.19 but it's not clear to me if
I do the above will it work will it break replication is there a chance
of data loss?

Thank You