[Samba] GSSAPI Error: Unspecified GSS failure. Minor code may provide more information (Server not found in Kerberos database)

Kees van Vloten keesvanvloten at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 12:01:21 UTC 2024

On 24-06-2024 13:21, Omnis ludis - games wrote:
> butthe encryptionthatis onsambathatis onthe clientis the sameandthe
> keytabisonlyonthe clientandhowto understandif the kvnois
> specifiedcorrectlyinit, you needto checkhowthekvnoof the accountinthe
> sambadatabase?

Get keytab on the client:

sudo net ads keytab list  # if you are using winbind or at least have
'net' installed

or

sudo klist -kte /etc/krb5.keytab   # assuming this is where the keytab
file is

Export a one principal keytab from samba.
Run on the DC with sufficient permissions:

samba-tool domain exportkeytab -d 8 <temp-export-file>
--principal=<one-principal-from-above-keytab>
ktlist -kte <temp-export-file>
# Compare kvno, local keytab must have at least the kvno that samba DC has
# Also check encryption types between the two files and check them with
settings in /etc/krb5.conf:
#   e.g. permitted_enctypes =
rm <temp-export-file

If there is a mismatch in kvno: use 'net ads keyab add' to update
/etc/krb5.keytab or the sssd equivalent for that. Run it for each
principal in the keytab.

Also check that a password on the service / machine account is set.
Without it ever set Kerberos authentication is not possible. For
accounts created or updated by a domain-join this is not an issue as it
will be set by the join.

You can also get a clue from the auth-audit logging on the DC. Ensure
you a line similar to this on the DC  in /etc/samba/smb.conf

[global]
         log level = 3 auth_json_audit:3@/var/log/samba/audit_auth.log

Restart the DC service after modifying /etc/samba/smb.conf. Auth-audit
logging on the server is more explicit than client-side logging in most
cases.

- Kees.