[Samba] GSSAPI Error: Unspecified GSS failure. Minor code may provide more information (Server not found in Kerberos database)

Kees van Vloten keesvanvloten at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 11:12:25 UTC 2024

On 24-06-2024 12:42, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jun 2024 11:19:03 +0200
> Kees van Vloten via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
>> On 24-06-2024 11:07, Omnis ludis - games via samba wrote:
>>> thank you
>>>
>>> пн, 24 июн. 2024 г. в 12:07, Rowland Penny via samba
>>> <samba at lists.samba.org

>> This is a generic kerberos error, you can find numerous pages with
>> suggestions on the net.
>>
>> I have seen errors like this one a few times (e.g. with gssapi from
>> Apache), there are a lot of possible issues. Some I have come across:
>>
>> -  EncTypes must be set on the machine account in the DC (and there
>> must be an overlap with the ones in the client's krb5.conf).
>>
>> - The machine password must be set on the account in the DC.
>>
>> - The kvno of the keytab entries on the client must match with the
>> DC. Each time the password on the machine account is changed a new
>> kvno is set on the keytab, so it must be exported to the client again.
>>
>> Hopefully this helps :-)
>>
> It might be a password problem, but sssd is involved and, from my
> perspective, if you are using 'security = ADS', then you must run
> winbind and if winbind is running, then there is no point to be also
> running sssd, winbind & sssd do virtually the same thing and if sssd
> isn't setup correctly, then once a month it can stop winbind in its
> tracks.
>
> Rowland

In this case it is an error generated by the Kerberos library used by
the client (here sssd, I used apache back then). It tells us the
kerberos authentication is not working, not due to authentication
failure but due to authentication not possible.

 From my experience the cause of this generic error is more likely the
one-way trust or something with the service account / computer account
(e.g. EncTypes mismatch, kvno mismatch) or /etc/krb5.conf than it being
caused by sssd (although we can't rule it out).

In this particular case I would bet on the one-way trust, as that could
cause the kerberos ticket no to work properly and that matches with what
the error expresses.

- Kees.