[Samba] Spotlight performance

Perttu Aaltonen perttu.aaltonen at mac.com
Wed Jun 19 06:26:51 UTC 2024

> On 10. Jun 2024, at 15.52, Ralph Boehme <slow at samba.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Pertu,
>
> On 6/3/24 10:34 AM, Perttu Aaltonen via samba wrote:
>> I see a lot of back and forth network traffic when the results are
>> displayed, so to me it looks like it could be due to fragmentation,
>> while the native results seem to come back in a big chunk.
>
> iirc I recently added fragmentation support to the mdssvc client, but it's still not implemented in the client. Though this is likely not the reason for the slow search, but probably the lack of enough support for returning request metadata in the search response which likely causes the client to do additional expensive IO for every item in the result set.

I’m not sure I understood. Do you mean fragmentation support is in mdssvc running on the server, but not in the smbd client accessing it? The latter part sounds about right. For example searching for files ending in “.dmg” spins a while and then returns a few results, then more network IO is done and more results are listed. Looks like Finder needs all the file information before it displays anything like you said.

Although I don’t remember it being this slow the last time I set it up from scratch. Perhaps having elasticsearch on a different host adds enough latency to notice. Or the fact that I’m not seeing 'elasticsearch:max results’ having any effect on 4.19.6 and it keeps returning more items.

-Perttu