[Samba] PVE HA for DCs

Luis Peromarta lperoma at icloud.com
Mon Jun 3 17:10:14 UTC 2024

Dear Samba users.

Lately I am running a 3 node Proxmox cluster with  some VMs and CTs including Samba DCs. I have to say I quite impressed with the performance and features.

Some of my CTs have HA turned on, basically, if a node in the cluster goes down or gets isolated, PVE fences the node and moves the HA-configured CTs and VMs to other hosts. I am using CEPH shared storage. As I understand this, basically the VM or CT is restarted in the new node, with whatever content in on the shared disk.

Works fine for example with DNS servers, radius serves, other auxiliary services, etc.

However I am concerned this may break the AD if a DC is restarted like this, in terms of databases syncing between DCs.

This question would be the same: If a DC crashed, can it be restarted in the AD without any issues ? I think is a similar situation. I would say no, better keek isolated, demote and re-join.

What are your thoughts ?

LP