[Samba] Spotlight performance

Ralph Boehme slow at samba.org
Mon Jun 10 12:52:01 UTC 2024

Hi Pertu,

On 6/3/24 10:34 AM, Perttu Aaltonen via samba wrote:
> I see a lot of back and forth network traffic when the results are
> displayed, so to me it looks like it could be due to fragmentation,
> while the native results seem to come back in a big chunk.

iirc I recently added fragmentation support to the mdssvc client, but
it's still not implemented in the client. Though this is likely not the
reason for the slow search, but probably the lack of enough support for
returning request metadata in the search response which likely causes
the client to do additional expensive IO for every item in the result set.

Cheers!
-slow

--
SerNet Samba Team Lead
Samba Support, Consulting and Development