[Samba] Users unable to reset passwords

Mark Foley mfoley at novatec-inc.com
Tue Jul 30 07:18:04 UTC 2024

On samba-bounces at lists.samba.org  Thu Jul 25 16:15:45 2024 Mark Foley via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On Mon Jul 22 13:33:05 2024 Rowland Penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 22 Jul 2024 13:06:56 -0400
> > Mark Foley via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> > > # sudo samba-tool domain passwordsettings show
> > > Password information for domain 'DC=hprs,DC=local'
> > >
> > > Password complexity: on
> > > Store plaintext passwords: off
> > > Password history length: 10
> > > Minimum password length: 7
> > > Minimum password age (days): 0
> > > Maximum password age (days): 90
> > > Account lockout duration (mins): 5
> > > Account lockout threshold (attempts): 10
> > > Reset account lockout after (mins): 30
> > >

> > There doesn't seem to be anything wrong there, I wondered if the
> > minimum password age was larger than the maximum password age.
> >
> > You can stop a user being able to change their password by altering the
> > required permission from 'allow' to 'deny', this can be on individual
> > users or an entire OU.
> > Try checking a users Account tab and see if 'User cannot change
> > password' is checked. Not sure how you do it for an OU, but it is
> > probably something similar.
> >
> > Rowland
>
> Sorry for the delay. I manage this machine remotely and Remote Desktop does not
> let you change an expired password, so I had to go onsite.
>
> On the ADUC dialogue for my domain user the Account options are:
>
> User must change password at next login
> User cannot change password
> Password never expires
> Store password using reversible encryption
> Account is disabled
> Smart card is required for interactive logon
> Account is sensitive and cannot be delegated
> Use only Kerberos DES encryption types for this account
> This account supports Kerberos AES 128 bit encryption
> This account supports Kerberos AES 256 bit encryption
> Do not require Kerberos preauthentication.
>
> All of these are un-checked.
>
> With samba-tool I changed Minimum password age (days): 1, which I think is what
> you were suggesting.
>
> On ADUC, I checked "User must change password at next login", then I tried to log
> into a Windows 11 workstation. I got the message "The password for this account
> has expired", as expected, and a dialogue box asking me to enter and confirm a
> new password. I did so, but it did not take the new password and kept cycling
> back to the "The password for this account has expired" dialog.
>
> As it stands, users can change their passwords at any time, so long as it's not
> expired or their account is not marked "User must change password at next
> login". If a user let's his/her password expire, I have to change it manually
> via ADUC or samba-tool.
>
> Other thoughts? I suppose this could be a Windows things, but then I would
> expect this problem to be pretty pervasive.
>
> Thanks --Mark
>
> Am 25.07.24 um 22:15 schrieb Mark Foley via samba:
>
> [deleted]

> [...]

So, at least one other user on this list has reported the same problem
(Christian) and he indicates that this problem "On this list the topic pops up
from time to time but it is never solved." So he's not the only one besides me.
He *solved* it by setting no expiry on the passwords, which is an unacceptable
work-around, not a solution.

No one has reported that they don't have a problem with password expirations.
It is doubtful that it's a Windows 11 problem or thousands of Windows users
would be howling.  I have an associate who admin's a Windows domain, no Samba,
and he has no such issue.

The conclusion must be that it is a Samba bug with this version. As I
mentioned, I did not have this issue with Samba 4.8.2.

So, how does one report a bug to the Samba development team?

THX --Mark