[Samba] new DC via clone..

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Jul 23 14:09:27 UTC 2024

On Tue, 23 Jul 2024 15:45:21 +0200
Joachim Lindenberg via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> in an attempt to analyze the misbehaviour of my clone I compiled
> samba (version 4.19.7) from sources, following
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Build_Samba_from_Source#make. When I
> entered "make install" however, it started a new compile/link with
> even more sources [yy/5891] after compilation of preceeding make
> succeeded [xx/4536]. This is not what I expected to happen - imho
> install just copies files. Any ideas?

Yes, it does that, not really compiling much, more creating man pages
etc, if I remember correctly.

> Then I also tried ./configure
> to change the pathes and figured out, the "..." is probably not
> required and one could supply multiple options in a single call,
> correct?

If you run './configure --help' it will give you a full list of its
options. However, it is a bit more complicated than just setting paths,
there made old bits of your original Samba left behind if you just
install a self compiled Samba over a distro package Samba.
If you are going down this path, then I would suggest either building
Samba as distro packages or into the default /usr/local/samba .

> After changing the paths, make, make install, and systemctl
> start samba-ad-dc I get "exit_daemon: daemon failed to start: Samba
> failed to prime database, error code 22" As I replaced version
> 4.19.7-Ubuntu: why can the database formats differ? Or what else
> could have gone wrong? Thanks, Joachim

If I understand that correctly, you built Samba on an existing DC and
installed your Samba over the existing distro Samba. If that is the
case, then I don't think that was a good idea.

Rowland