[Samba] Distributed file system suggestion/ctdb integration

Luis Peromarta lperoma at icloud.com
Tue Jul 9 10:00:04 UTC 2024

Hi there, I can only give you my experience. I run a cluster of 3 Proxmox 8.2.x servers with internal storage, and dedicated 1Gb network for the cluster. The member server runs on the shared CEPH storage with 2 disks, one for system, one for data., (I know you said "other than ceph"), and it just works perfectly fine, failover to another node takes seconds. Because if's internal storage and not shared storage, performance isn't crazy, but is more than sufficient. This is replicated for business continuity to an external server, un-clustered, with rsync a couple of times a day. Not sure this is very relevant to you, but it's what works for me. Regards, LP On Jul 9, 2024, at 8:15 AM, Ilias Chasapakis forumZFD via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote: Dear all, We are just in a phase of considering valid alternatives to our current setup that sees glusterfs integrated to ctdb interface plus samba ADs. Do you have any suggestion for a distributed FS other than glusterfs and other than ceph that could fulfill the following: - relatively simple use and maintenance and reliable stability; - a feature like geo-replication to allow for distribution in/from different world locations; - multi-platform client compatibility. Would be really happy to know about your experiences taking into account a global user base of around 150-200 users and a use of the system with mostly small files. Also a suggestion of the "best" underlying local FS for such a context would be great too. We would prefer if possible a vm environment (we would be open to any open source vm environment). Many thanks in advance. Ilias -- forumZFD Entschieden für Frieden | Committed to Peace Ilias Chasapakis Referent IT | IT Consultant Forum Ziviler Friedensdienst e.V. | Forum Civil Peace Service Am Kölner Brett 8 | 50825 Köln | Germany Tel 0221 91273243 | Fax 0221 91273299 | http://www.forumZFD.de Vorstand nach § 26 BGB, einzelvertretungsberechtigt|Executive Board: Alexander Mauz, Sonja Wiekenberg-Mlalandle, Jens von Bargen VR 17651 Amtsgericht Köln Spenden|Donations: IBAN DE90 4306 0967 4103 7264 00 BIC GENODEM1GLS <OpenPGP_signature.asc> -- To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the instructions: https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba