[Samba] Spotlight & accented characters in share name

Perttu Aaltonen perttu.aaltonen at mac.com
Tue Jul 9 09:40:45 UTC 2024

Hi,

I finally found out why I’ve had trouble getting Spotlight searches working well with the latest installation I’m working on. It looks like searches won’t work if there are any accented characters in the share name.

In this case it is the Ö character. Running mount in macOS shows it like this:
//user at server.address/Share_with_the_O%CC%88_character on /Volumes/Share_with_the_Ö_character

For some reason it won’t use fast searches and falls back to traversing the whole directory tree which is obviously very slow and searching for file contents won’t work at all. Sharing the same server directory without the accented character makes fast searches instantly work. Unfortunately there are lots of legacy files and changing the share name would invalidate all links in CAD software so it’s not possible simply to change the share name.

With native macOS SMB shares it works, so perhaps there is something that could be done in Samba? Ralph, any ideas? What’s the proper log class to debug this?

Thanks,
Perttu