[Samba] PAM Offline Authentication in Ubuntu 22.04...

Marco Gaiarin gaio at lilliput.linux.it
Tue May 30 08:52:57 UTC 2023

Mandi! Rowland Penny via samba
  In chel di` si favelave...

>>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/PAM_Offline_Authentication
> Don't really understand that, it sounds like it does and it doesn't work
> for you.

I restate, sorry: i've followed exactly that wiki page, but does not work.

>> A-HA! You are sure you are on Ubuntu 22.04? Ubuntu 22.04 has GDM, not
>> LightDM...
> Yes, Ubuntu 22.04 using MATE, I do not use GDM, my opinion of that could
> not be published.

;-)

> I have found out how to get winbind to log debug messages, I cannot find
> out how to obtain the lightdm message, but it appears to start 'Domain
> Controllers....'. If I log in with the network connected I get a number
> of lines in auth.log. If I disconnect the network and attempt to login,
> I get the same lines with one extra in the middle:

Probably it is only kerberos that warn about password expiration date...

> So, if you follow the wiki (when it comes back) and it doesn't work,
> then it may not be a Samba problem, it may be a GDM problem.

I doubt. Or better, some trouble (eg, the 'power off' menù desappear) surely
is a gnome fault; but i've also tried to switch to console (Ctrl+Alt+FX) and
try a console login obtaining the same result.

--
  chi si convertiva nel novanta
  ne era dispensato nel novantuno			(F. De Andre`)