[Samba] PAM Offline Authentication in Ubuntu 22.04...

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon May 29 13:22:31 UTC 2023

On 29/05/2023 13:43, Marco Gaiarin via samba wrote:
> Mandi! Rowland Penny via samba
>    In chel di` si favelave...
>
>> The latest version of this wiki page works for myself:
>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/PAM_Offline_Authentication
>
> Mee too, but does not work. ;(

Don't really understand that, it sounds like it does and it doesn't work
for you.

>> Every so often, I attempt to login as a domain user and so far it works,
>> without any delays. As I said, lightdm flashes up a message during the
>> logon, but it goes past very fast, so fast that I cannot read it and I
>> cannot find it logged anywhere.
>
> A-HA! You are sure you are on Ubuntu 22.04? Ubuntu 22.04 has GDM, not
> LightDM...
Yes, Ubuntu 22.04 using MATE, I do not use GDM, my opinion of that could
not be published.

I have found out how to get winbind to log debug messages, I cannot find
out how to obtain the lightdm message, but it appears to start 'Domain
Controllers....'. If I log in with the network connected I get a number
of lines in auth.log. If I disconnect the network and attempt to login,
I get the same lines with one extra in the middle:

May 28 08:20:59 member1 lightdm: pam_winbind(lightdm:auth): User rowland
logged on using cached credentials

So, if you follow the wiki (when it comes back) and it doesn't work,
then it may not be a Samba problem, it may be a GDM problem.

Rowland