[Samba] PAM Offline Authentication in Ubuntu 22.04...

Kees van Vloten keesvanvloten at gmail.com
Mon May 29 13:23:11 UTC 2023

On 29-05-2023 14:43, Marco Gaiarin via samba wrote:
> Mandi! Rowland Penny via samba
>    In chel di` si favelave...
>
>> The latest version of this wiki page works for myself:
>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/PAM_Offline_Authentication
> Mee too, but does not work. ;(
>

>> Every so often, I attempt to login as a domain user and so far it works,
>> without any delays. As I said, lightdm flashes up a message during the
>> logon, but it goes past very fast, so fast that I cannot read it and I
>> cannot find it logged anywhere.
> A-HA! You are sure you are on Ubuntu 22.04? Ubuntu 22.04 has GDM, not
> LightDM...

I am on Debian 11 with KDE (sddm).

When I reported the issue in July 2021 it was Debian 10 with KDE.

However the issue also occurred on console login if remember well, so
should not be related to the graphical display manager.

After Winbind I tried SSSD which worked fine for this issue, but it had
other issues, so I abandoned that as well. In the end I concluded that a
Linux domain-member laptop is not a good idea yet. Too much chance I
cannot login when I am at a remote location or fully disconnected, so I
reverted to local-users on Linux laptops, not ideal either but it works :-)

- Kees.