[Samba] Difference between share access from Windows and Linux

Ingo Asche foren at asche-rz.de
Wed May 24 09:25:12 UTC 2023

Rowland Penny via samba schrieb am 24.05.2023 um 11:12:

> On 24/05/2023 09:51, Ingo Asche via samba wrote:
>>
>> The name libidmap-samba4.so indicates it has something to with the id
>> mapping. Any thoughts from your knowledge and experience why there is
>> something different between Windows and Linux workstations? Maybe you
>> have a helpful hint.
>
> That is a Samba file only used on a DC, at least it is only on my
> DC's, but you really shouldn't mix libraries between versions.

They have a different packages for SMB and DC (Directory Server the call
it). The latter of course I haven't installed but this file is there in
their SMB package directory. But I have also a member server running, so
I will have a look. It's definetly interesting.

> They claim full support for Windows on their website (just checked),
> how can they do this if they do not test against Windows ?
> As is often said 'untested code is broken code', looks like here is
> the proof :-)
>
> Rowland

Now you see what fun I have... :-)

Regards