[Samba] Difference between share access from Windows and Linux

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed May 24 09:12:38 UTC 2023

On 24/05/2023 09:51, Ingo Asche via samba wrote:
> Hi Rowland,
>
> thanks for the answer...
>
> I'm totally with you, the problem lies with Synology. Just wanted to be
> sure.
>
> As you may have read in my other mail today directed more to Travis, I
> could create a workaround through changing a library to an older one.
>
> The name libidmap-samba4.so indicates it has something to with the id
> mapping. Any thoughts from your knowledge and experience why there is
> something different between Windows and Linux workstations? Maybe you
> have a helpful hint.

That is a Samba file only used on a DC, at least it is only on my DC's,
but you really shouldn't mix libraries between versions.

As I said, it shouldn't matter where you connect to a share from, it
should use the same protocol (in my opinion anyway) and you should get
the same result.

You appear to be able to fix the problem by changing a file, this would
seem to me (but what do I know) that the problem lies in the code for
the new version (which may be Samba code) or in the way that it
interacts with the rest of the codebase (which may be synology code).
Either way, synology needs to investigate this.

> I'm just hoping for some munition against Synology, as I'm no developer
> myself. They test every time from Linux and say there's no problem. Of
> course there's no problem, because it happens only from Windows.

They claim full support for Windows on their website (just checked), how
can they do this if they do not test against Windows ?
As is often said 'untested code is broken code', looks like here is the
proof :-)

Rowland