[Samba] Difference between share access from Windows and Linux

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed May 24 07:50:41 UTC 2023

On 24/05/2023 08:36, Ingo Asche via samba wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a - maybe dumb - question:
>
> What is the difference between an access to a Samba share from Linux and
> from Windows?
>
> Is there a difference in protocol or getting share rights or anything
> else? I think I remember that there is.
>
> Maybe someone can push into the direction of a documentation.
>
> Base for this question is a ticket I have open with Synology. There is
> in newer versions of the SMBService (their version of Samba) a problem
> with getting access rights to shares through groups. Only with Windows
> workstations, not from Linux workstations.
>
> I found out with changing a Library from an older Version it works
> again, but they couldn't second it, because they still test from Linux.

Samba is the Linux attempt to emulate the SMB protocol and as such, it
shouldn't matter what you access a Samba share from, they should all
work the same.

However, as you seem to be aware, synology samba != Samba. They take
Samba (an older version at that) and mangle it for their own uses. So if
you can connect to a Samba share correctly from Linux, Windows or
anything but synology, then that looks very like a synology problem and
they will be the only people who will be able to fix it.

Rowland