[Samba] Difference between share access from Windows and Linux

Ingo Asche foren at asche-rz.de
Wed May 24 07:36:28 UTC 2023

Hi All,

I have a - maybe dumb - question:

What is the difference between an access to a Samba share from Linux and
from Windows?

Is there a difference in protocol or getting share rights or anything
else? I think I remember that there is.

Maybe someone can push into the direction of a documentation.

Base for this question is a ticket I have open with Synology. There is
in newer versions of the SMBService (their version of Samba) a problem
with getting access rights to shares through groups. Only with Windows
workstations, not from Linux workstations.

I found out with changing a Library from an older Version it works
again, but they couldn't second it, because they still test from Linux.

--
Regards
Ingo