[Samba] [EXTERNAL]Re: Need help setting up Samba DC in Windows environment

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue May 9 15:48:28 UTC 2023

On 09/05/2023 16:15, Owen DeLong wrote:

>>> This looks like joining as an RODC, which wasn't what the command
>>> showed. Odd.
>
> The results are the same whether I specify DC or RODC. An RODC would be an acceptable outcome here if that’s easier.

It shouldn't matter for the join, but if the DC is to be at a different
site, it probably shouldn't be an RODC.

>> Still think we need more info.
>
> Happy to provide whatever info is useful, but could use some guidance on what to collect/provide and possibly how to gather it.

OK, first, after a bit of investigation, it seems that dietpi is just
basically a stripped down version of Debian, so I would start again with
a new install of the OS and set apt to use bullseye-backports, this will
get you Samba 4.17.7

Set the proposed DC to have a fixed IP
Ensure that the ipaddress is in /etc/hosts in this format:

x.x.x.x FQDN short_hostname

Where:
x.x.x.x is the computers ipaddress
FQDN is the computers fully qualified name e.g. dc1.ad.example.com
short_hostname is the computers short hostname e.g. from the example
above dc1

127.0.0.1 should just point to 'localhost'

there should no other IPv4 lines such as 127.0.1.1

/etc/resolv.conf should be in this format:

search your_dns_domain
nameserver your_existing_dc_ipaddress

After installing the required packages:

acl attr samba smbclient winbind krb5-user python3-setproctitle

Stop the Samba binaries, nmbd,smbd and winbind, then mask them to stop
them starting again

Remove the example smb.conf file (/etc/samba/smb.conf)

Now try to join as a DC, but this time, use Administrator.

Lets see how you go on.

Rowland