[Samba] MacOS clients - best options

Tobias Hachmer t.hachmer at s-v.de
Tue May 9 10:13:14 UTC 2023

Hi list,

we have migrated a single node Samba server from Ubuntu Trusty to a
3-node CTDB Cluster on Debian Bullseye with Sernet packages. Storage is
CephFS. We are running Samba in Standalone Mode with LDAP Backend.

Samba Version: sernet-samba 99:4.18.2-2debian11

I don't know if it is relevant here's how we have mounted CephFS on the
samba nodes:

(fstab):/samba  /srv/samba ceph    name=samba,_netdev   0   0

Client caps:
client.samba
	key: ...
	caps: [mds] allow rw fsname=cephfs path=/samba
	caps: [mon] allow r fsname=cephfs
	caps: [osd] allow rw tag cephfs data=cephfs

After the migration everything seems fine but we experience problems
with MacOS Clients. We have ~97% MacOS Clients here.

Problem description:
Many files are greyed out in the Finder and appear to be read only.
Documents can't be opened or copied. In case of pictures the preview
works but the pics can't be opened by any application.
Which files are greyed out seems random.

We have tested with several fruit options. If we set "fruit:metadata" to
default (netatalk) the greyed out files are accessible again.

We're unsure which fruit options are the best for a 97% MacOS
environment. We have first use the config described in [1].

Our Samba Configuration: https://pastebin.com/4zbzezZk

Would be great if someone can explain what fruit options are best or why
the files are greyed out with "fruit:metadata = stream".

Thanks and kind regards
Tobias

[1] https://knowledgebase.45drives.com/kb/macos-samba-optimization/