[Samba] Unable to add Point and Print printers to clients with Windows 8.1 and up

Thomas Keppler winfr34k at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 15:08:01 UTC 2023

Hello everyone,

I can finally ditch Windows 7 in my Samba AD DC based setup. unfortunately, adding printers from my Samba-based print server (separate server, member in the domain) does not work.

My print server shows up fine on Windows 8.1[1] and Windows 10, all printers are there and even copying the driver seems to complete successfully.
However, right in the very last step when it configures the print queue, I'm getting this error:

	A policy is in effect on your computer which prevents you from connecting to this print queue. Please contact your system administrator.

Now, I _am_ the systems administrator and I can't remember setting any such policy :^)

Joking aside, of course, I've followed the GPO recommendations the Samba Wiki provides[2]. I've also tried a more recent driver[3] and adding the requested policy to the default domain policy to aid in application.

From what I can see in the client's registry[4], the GPO is applied as desired. No obvious errors are present anywhere. Searching the Samba mailing list brought me to other fitting entries[5] with Sharp printers, but those hints couldn't resolve my problems. I've double checked my DNS settings and I've confirmed to have proper Forward and Reverse Lookup Zones.

I'm using Samba 4.13.13-Debian on Debian 11.6 on all Samba systems.

Any help, pointers or experiences that could help me resolve this issue (or at the very least, to understand what's actually going on) would be deeply appreciated.

Thank you.

--
Sincerely
Thomas Keppler

P.S. My setup is still almost the same as it was in 2017[6], except that I followed Louis' advice[7] and my fileserver is doing WINS now.

--
[1] Don't worry, I want to move to Windows 10/11, the Windows 8 one was just a "last resort test installation" because that used to work circa 2018. All installations have been fully patched.
[2] https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Automatic_Printer_Driver_Downloads_for_Windows_Clients#Creating_a_GPO_for_Trusting_the_Print_Server