[Samba] Error for I_NetLogonGetCapabilities with 0xc003000c (RPC_NT_BAD_STUB_DATA)

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Aug 3 12:37:07 UTC 2023

On 03/08/2023 13:20, Kristian via samba wrote:
> Hey Rowland, thanks for the quick reply. Yes, it is a Synology DS
> unfortunately and I didn't expect that they'd mangle with the Samba code,
> but thought they take stock Samba and just configure it. Lesson learned I
> guess. Thanks for the hint. This is also why I am stuck at 4.15.9, as this
> is what the Synology package comes with right now. Based on your previous
> comment I guess any attempt upgrading it on my own is worthless then. I
> will try to reach out to Synology support, but I guess they won't dig as
> deep as I am already, let's see. Thanks anyways.

Try reading this:
https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2023-July/245691.html

>> This list strips attachments, if you require someone on this list to
>> look at your logs, you will need to post them somewhere and then post a
>> link here.
>
> The logs don't show very much more interesting in terms of the error
> unfortunately. I thought I could "reverse engineer" myself into why the
> machine thinks it received a RPC_NT_BAD_STUB_DATA, but I guess there is no
> longs on Samba side for that, right? Thanks again, Kristian

That error message seems to appear in only one place in the standard
Samba code:

libcli/util/ntstatus_err_table.txt

Where you will find this (at line 8022):

0xC003000C

RPC_NT_BAD_STUB_DATA

The stub received bad data.

I cannot find it anywhere else in the code, this doesn't mean it isn't
used by Samba, just that I cannot trace any use of it.

I cannot print my thoughts on synology, I would really upset them.

Rowland