[Samba] Synology shares not accessible...

itdept_head itdept_head at grown-up.com
Tue Jul 4 02:34:52 UTC 2023

I have had many discussions with Synology about this and other   attitudes they have been displaying in the last few years.
Also if you log into their NAS, using  ssh and take a look at some of the comments that have been added into the "ETC" configs, it makes it very clear.

They have also been removing any  posts relating to methods or help given in the forums that relate to SAMBA , many posts are now  missing links.

It seems they are determined to break interoperability  with main line SAMBA & also MS AD services, instead spinning off a semi functional version that only works with clients & not other AD's

Specifically they seem to only want it to work with "Synology" type systems.

They have significant other issues related the integration of  Samba & the underlying file systems, ESP. related to security....

We had a large investment in SYNOLOGY  , specifically because it allowed us to spin up  remote  offsite offices in many countries at a lower cost, and integrate basic security services cheaply.
Moving forward, We would expect direct SAMBA compatibility to continue to get significantly worse.

Regards.

On 3/7/2023, 10:15 AM, "samba on behalf of Ingo Asche via samba" <samba-bounces at lists.samba.org <mailto:samba-bounces at lists.samba.org> on behalf of samba at lists.samba.org <mailto:samba at lists.samba.org>> wrote:

Mostly you have second what I thought already. At least what they say
about using an old Samba version.

Another thought just accured to me: But why they changed it after three
years the change is already in use. Why now? But as you said, that's
something only Synology can answer.

Regards
Ingo
https://github.com/WAdama <https://github.com/WAdama>