[Samba] Search in Samba ?

Joachim Lindenberg samba at lindenberg.one
Thu Aug 3 08:51:59 UTC 2023

Hello all,

I am wondering when and what is going to happen w.r.t. search. Searching the list, the last question was around April 2020, I also watched the video of Samba XP 2023, but unfortunately that is very unspecific w.r.t. both features and timeline.

Right now I am running three Samba DCs only plus domain members for authentication only, but no file servers, as to me search and fail-over are the top priorities (in that order). Search does work for me with Windows (desktop or server) including full-text-search, fail-over is an issue. With Samba I suppose I could get replication and fail-over via GlusterFS (https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/GlusterFS), but search is unavailable.

I´d be willing to spend some cycles on testing or documentation. So far I never built Samba myself, but am going to try that.

Who else is interested and willing to offer something?

Or what alternatives are around? There might be even value in collecting use cases and alternatives. E.g. I found the question https://superuser.com/questions/1675272/how-do-i-get-windows-10-to-index-mapped-network-drives but the answer only reveals searches by file name or attributes, none providing full-text-search.

Thanks,

Joachim