[Samba] domain with a single dc

Sonic sonicsmith at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 18:27:14 UTC 2023

On Thu, Aug 3, 2023 at 2:07 PM John Mulligan via samba
<samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> I'll admit this is more of a Proof-of-Concept than something done in
> production, but I'd love to get interest and assistance from people who'd be
> interested in running these in production. :-)

I've been running a Samba DC and a Samba file server, both in separate
containers (ordinary LXC's) as well as a Windows KVM client, for
several years (since Debian Stretch) on the same Debian host at two
different sites.

No issues except the fear of upgrading - that is if I upgrade the host
will my containers and vm keep running (will a dist upgrade from
"Stretch", to "Buster", to "Bullseye", to "Bookworm" continue to
support the older containers and vm), or how far can I upgrade the
containers without upgrading the host (assuming at some point a
"Bookworm" container may need something newer than a "Stretch"
kernel).
And is there a proper order in which to begin such upgrades. Questions
I haven't seen answered anywhere. If anyone knows please advise.

Chris