[Samba] Default Samba version in Debian Bookworm

Peter Milesson miles at atmos.eu
Sun Apr 30 08:25:07 UTC 2023

On 30.04.2023 10:18, Kees van Vloten via samba wrote:

> On 30-04-2023 10:06, Peter Milesson via samba wrote:
>>

>> On 29.04.2023 10:35, Yvan Masson via samba wrote:
>>> Hi Peter,

>>> I am sure you would also receive a good answer from
>>> debian-user at lists.debian.org.

>>> Looking https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/samba and knowing that
>>> Bookworm is currently frozen, Samba version will be 4.17.7. Maybe
>>> using Bookworm backport could be a solution for you?

>> Hi Yvan,
>>
>> Thanks for the information, really useful. Essentially, it means I
>> need to wait for the official release of Debian Bookworm, and then
>> getting the newest Samba packages from Bookworm backports. It's just
>> a little over a month away, so there is ample time for planning
>> upgrades.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Peter
>>

> Well, you can start already with 4.18 on Bullseye and then move to
> bookworm backports (or stick with Michael's repos).
> Michael Tokarev (the Debian maintainer) has his own repos with more
> samba versions (and distro-versions), one of those is 4.18:
>
> http://www.corpit.ru/mjt/packages/samba/bullseye/samba-4.18/
>
> - Kees.

Hi Kees,

Thanks for your information. The official release date of Bookworm will
suit me just fine. The MS Azure integration is still in planning, and it
will be a nice summer project. Scratching on the surface, it seems quite
complex, and I'm sure I will get back to this list with questions.

Best regards,

Peter