[Samba] Default Samba version in Debian Bookworm

Kees van Vloten keesvanvloten at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 08:18:25 UTC 2023

On 30-04-2023 10:06, Peter Milesson via samba wrote:

> On 29.04.2023 10:35, Yvan Masson via samba wrote:
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> Le 28/04/2023 à 21:17, Peter Milesson via samba a écrit :
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> I have tried to get some information about what Samba version will
>>> be the default one when Debian Bookworm gets released, but without
>>> luck. Will it be 4.17, or 4.18? Or even 4.19.x? Will there be Samba
>>> backports for Bookworm?
>>>
>>> I saw a post from Michael Tokarev in this list a while ago, that
>>> there probably wont be a Samba 4.18 for Debian Bullseye. I also saw
>>> another post about integration between MS Azure and Samba, and that
>>> Samba 4.18 will be much easier to integrate with MS Azure than
>>> previous Samba versions.
>>>
>>> I'm planning a project with MS Azure integration and I'm trying to
>>> look a bit into the future. Samba has served us very well so far,
>>> and I'm very reluctant to give MS more than just a bare minimum of
>>> what is absolutely necessary, and leave the rest to Samba AD
>>> (nothing fancy or complex, just simple GPOs).
>>>
>>> So investing in Debian Bullseye probably isn't the most future proof
>>> way forward. And I don't want to compile Samba myself, preferring to
>>> use official packages as much as possible.
>>>
>>> I'm publishing this post here, as I'm not convinced I would get
>>> better information in a Debian forum.
>> I am sure you would also receive a good answer from
>> debian-user at lists.debian.org.
>>>
>>> I would be most grateful for some relevant information.
>> Looking https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/samba and knowing that
>> Bookworm is currently frozen, Samba version will be 4.17.7. Maybe
>> using Bookworm backport could be a solution for you?
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Peter
>>>

> Hi Yvan,
>
> Thanks for the information, really useful. Essentially, it means I
> need to wait for the official release of Debian Bookworm, and then
> getting the newest Samba packages from Bookworm backports. It's just a
> little over a month away, so there is ample time for planning upgrades.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Peter

Well, you can start already with 4.18 on Bullseye and then move to
bookworm backports (or stick with Michael's repos).
Michael Tokarev (the Debian maintainer) has his own repos with more
samba versions (and distro-versions), one of those is 4.18:

http://www.corpit.ru/mjt/packages/samba/bullseye/samba-4.18/

- Kees.