[Samba] DNS problems (still) with Linux domain members - using Samba's internal DNS backend

Gary Dale gary at extremeground.com
Tue Apr 25 21:59:02 UTC 2023

On 2023-04-25 11:22, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:

> On 25/04/2023 15:37, Gary Dale via samba wrote:

>>> It is optional, well, because it is optional for AD, but AD does
>>> work better if it is created.
>>>
>>> The Samba wiki was/is written from the point of view that it was
>>> using a self compiled version of Samba, it was expected that the
>>> distros would provide there own documentation. Some distros are
>>> better at this than others.
>> And anyone who dares use the distribution-created documentation gets
>> blasted for doing so and told to use the Samba documentation instead.
>> Besides, the distribution-created documentation gets outdated just as
>> fast as the Samba documentation.
>
> The Samba documentation isn't that far out of date, yes there are
> problems, but not that many. Samba has no control over the distros
> documentation, some of which is good, what is really bad is the wealth
> of howtos out there on the internet, written by an 'expert'.

>>> There you see, you are wrong, AD lives and dies on dns, so your
>>> <your realm in lowercase> should actually be <your dns domain>, the
>>> realm would be <your dns domain in uppercase>.
>> I suppose it is possible that <your dns domain> could be different
>> from <your realm in lowercase> but can you suggest why anyone would
>> do that?
>
> What I was trying to point out was that you appear to be thinking in
> the wrong direction, the dns domain comes first and the realm devolves
> from that, hence <your dns domain> rather than <your realm in
> lowercase>. The dns domain should always be in lowercase and the realm
> always referred to in uppercase.

>>> The '-U' option isn't actually set in stone, you could get a
>>> kerberos ticket and use kerberos instead. Your point is valid
>>> though, it should stick to one way of doing things.
>> Yes. If you follow the example as written, you get an error message.
>>

> I have updated https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/DNS_Administration
>
> Hopefully it is nearer to what is required now, but if you find any
> other errors or omissions, please let us know, we can only fix such
> things if we are told about them.
>
> Rowland

I actually think you went in the wrong direction there. By removing the
<some meaningful information>  and putting in just the actual values,
it's harder to distinguish what is magic and what is user-provided. For
example, in adding an A record, demo is the name of the new host being
added while A is the record type being created and 192.168.0.55 is the
IPV4 address of the demo host.

I think it would be clearer to write the example as:
address to add> -U administrator

The example now shows people unnecessarily writing the FQDN of the DNS
server when only the name is really needed.

The omission would be a test that shows why my setup isn't working.