[Samba] Ubuntu update from 18.04 LTS to 22.04 LTS

Benjamin Schmid Benjamin.Schmid at fau.de
Fri Apr 21 19:35:25 UTC 2023

On 21.04.23 17:08, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:

> On 21/04/2023 15:30, Benjamin Schmid via samba wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am running a Samba AD DC server on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. Since 18.04
>> LTS reaches its end of support, I'd like to upgrade it. Will an apt
>> dist-upgrade be a safe thing to do? Are there any caveats?
>>
>> Ideally, I'd like to go to 22.04 LTS.
>>
>> Thank you very much in advance,
>>
>> Benjamin
>>

> If I remember correctly, Ubuntu 18.04 has Samba 4.7.6 (all be it with
> security updates and anything else they backported)
>
> Ubuntu 22.04 gets you 4.15.13 (if I understand correctly)
>
> If you really want to get to a Samba supported version (and you
> should), jump ship to Debian 11 and use Samba from backports, which
> will get you 4.17.7
>
> Which ever way you go, I wouldn't want to upgrade Samba in the way
> that you are proposing, there is just too much that can go wrong. I
> would join a new computer as a DC, then demote the old one.
>
> Rowland

Thanks for the quick reply.

I already have a secondary domain controller in the network. So I'd then
basically follow
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Upgrading_a_Samba_AD_DC#Upgrade_A_DC_and_join_it_to_the_domain_again

I'd start with the secondary DC, demote it, update it, and join it
again. If everything goes smooth, I'd do the same thing with the primary DC.

I'd re-join both with the same command, i.e. the command that I used to
join the secondary DC in the first place, with all the options specified
back then, right?

This should work for both upgrading the existing Ubuntu and installing a
new Debian?

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help,

Bene