[Samba] Ubuntu update from 18.04 LTS to 22.04 LTS

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Apr 21 15:08:36 UTC 2023

On 21/04/2023 15:30, Benjamin Schmid via samba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running a Samba AD DC server on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. Since 18.04 LTS
> reaches its end of support, I'd like to upgrade it. Will an apt
> dist-upgrade be a safe thing to do? Are there any caveats?
>
> Ideally, I'd like to go to 22.04 LTS.
>
> Thank you very much in advance,
>
> Benjamin

If I remember correctly, Ubuntu 18.04 has Samba 4.7.6 (all be it with
security updates and anything else they backported)

Ubuntu 22.04 gets you 4.15.13 (if I understand correctly)

If you really want to get to a Samba supported version (and you should),
jump ship to Debian 11 and use Samba from backports, which will get you
4.17.7

Which ever way you go, I wouldn't want to upgrade Samba in the way that
you are proposing, there is just too much that can go wrong. I would
join a new computer as a DC, then demote the old one.

Rowland