[Samba] clients not connecting to samba shares

Kees van Vloten keesvanvloten at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 20:38:55 UTC 2023

On 01-04-2023 22:29, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:

> On 01/04/2023 21:18, Gary Dale via samba wrote:
>
>> I only have one user (me) and no additional groups. The only reason
>> I'm even looking at this is because Windows seems to have broken my
>> older setup. Rowland has been pushing Samba accounts as the way to
>> fix it.
>
> And I have been pushing Samba accounts because in your first post, you
> posted a log fragment that showed you were trying to run Samba as an
> AD DC, had I known that there was only you, I would have said that
> this is overkill and that you would probably better off running Samba
> as a standalone server in a workgroup. Yes, I know you said that this
> was for home use, but that doesn't proclude running an AD domain.
>
> Rowland

Misunderstandings in written are so easy :-) I have been following this
thread for a while and I did not read or understand that either, until
the last Gary's last post.

One of the first things I was told when I started working in the
nineties was that "email is easiest way to get into a fight with
someone". Nowadays email can be replaced with any written conversation
but it is still the same that it is pretty hard to get a single common
understanding of something.