[Samba] Using Samba with mass numebr of users

Norbert Hanke norbert.hanke at gmx.ch
Wed Sep 21 15:02:22 UTC 2022

Hi Gabor,

If your existing Solaris-based environment has a mix of Unix users
(using NFS) and Windows (using Samba) and if you are using ZFS ACLs you
might have a look at TrueNAS, based on FreeBSD. It offers essentially
the same as Solaris, i.e. OS-native ACLs for Samba. No xattrs to store
ACL information like with Linux. Or a Linux variant with ZFS, but I
don't know how mature that is.

If your Solaris ZFS version is old enough (many years) you might even be
able to use a zfs send-ssh-zfs receive scenario to migrate data
including ACLs from Solaris to a ZFS-based solution.

regards,
Norbert