[Samba] Using Samba with mass numebr of users

Stefan Kania stefan at kania-online.de
Thu Sep 15 11:14:32 UTC 2022

Hi Gabor,

Am 15.09.22 um 10:11 schrieb bugz--- via samba:
> Hi,
>

> There are a hungarian university with 20.000+ students. They using ~200+
> Samba shares with custom ACL-s.

I have a customer with over 30.000 users and a lot of shares. All
authentication uses Samba-AD. The number od users and shares will not be
the most important part, you also need to now how many users are logging
in at the same time and how many users are using your shares at the same
time.
> This service handed by Oracle Solaris currently, but the performance is
> wery poor, so the plan is move forward to Linux-based solution, and
> possibly upgrade the HW infrastructure, too.

So you use LDAP for authentication and want to switch to Samba AD. With
some scripting you can transfer your users from LDAP to AD. I did this
several times. Reading users from OPenLDAP and import the users to AD.
> I'm really courious your pont of view or experiene about this topic.
>

> 1.) If the university decice to move from Solaris, which Linux
> distribution is the most recommended? Debian/Ubuntu based, or
> CentOS/Alma based? Operation? Paid/community support? TCO?

You ask 10 people which distributon to take and you will get 11 answers
;-). In production the Sernet-packagages are a good solution, or if you
have the know how you can build Samba from the sources

> 2.) Likely the HW infrastructure will move from SPARC to AMD64 base.
> Have any formula, recommendation, experience, book or other idea that we
> can calculate the estimated HW configuration (CPU cores, memory, NIC,
> etc.)?
That depends on the usage of your systems.

At the moment there are not enough information to give more detailed help

Stefan

--
Stefan Kania
Landweg 13

Signieren jeder E-Mail hilft Spam zu reduzieren und schützt Ihre
Privatsphäre. Ein kostenfreies Zertifikat erhalten Sie unter
https://www.dgn.de/dgncert/index.html
Download der root-Zertifikate: https://www.dgn.de/dgncert/downloads.html