[Samba] Using Samba with mass numebr of users

bugz at szummer.hu bugz at szummer.hu
Thu Sep 15 08:11:09 UTC 2022

Hi,

There are a hungarian university with 20.000+ students. They using ~200+
Samba shares with custom ACL-s.

This service handed by Oracle Solaris currently, but the performance is
wery poor, so the plan is move forward to Linux-based solution, and
possibly upgrade the HW infrastructure, too.

I'm really courious your pont of view or experiene about this topic.

1.) If the university decice to move from Solaris, which Linux
distribution is the most recommended? Debian/Ubuntu based, or
CentOS/Alma based? Operation? Paid/community support? TCO?

2.) Likely the HW infrastructure will move from SPARC to AMD64 base.
Have any formula, recommendation, experience, book or other idea that we
can calculate the estimated HW configuration (CPU cores, memory, NIC, etc.)?

We use  Samba on a lot of place (and love it), but not under this load
and not on Solaris.

Any opinion is warmly welcomed.

BR,
Gabor