[Samba] 4.17?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Oct 21 20:14:13 UTC 2022

On 21/10/2022 21:03, Lorenzo Milesi via samba wrote:

>> Great for what? Why someone wants to stick with 4.16 or 4.15?
>
> For whatever reason I don't strictly need to know. What's the issue with this?
> Why so much discussion over an optional opportunity?
>
>>> Current goal: provide Samba packages (possibly via apt repo) for stable and
>>> maintenance for Debian 11, Ubuntu 20 and 22.
>>
>> What does "stable and maintenance" mean?  Like 4.15 and 4.16?
>
> As per the posted link, stable is 4.17 and maintenance is 4.16, at this moment.
> Adding 4.15 which is still in security fixes, would really be the top.
>
>> Again, what for? to have a big collection to show to someone? What *practical*
>> reason it provides?
>
> apt-get install --reinstall my-old-version?
> Again, what's the problem with this. I tend to be a collector, yes, that's true. So what? Do we need to discuss further on this?
>
> If it's possible to provide an apt repo with .16 and .17 for Deb11, Ubuntu20 and 22 it's just fine. Not fine, but GREAT for many people on this list who relied on Louis' work.
> That's it.
> If you're able and you're willing to do so on your own, then thank you.
> If not, I'll be really grateful if you can support or guide this project.

I think you are both talking at cross purposes. Michael is talking about
what Debian needs to supply as a distro and Lorenzo is talking about
what he would like to supply as a third party repo, they are not
mutually exclusive.

I do not see the point of Lorenzo supplying Samba packages for Debian
that Debian already supplies, I also see no reason why Debian should
supply Samba packages for anything other than Debian.

Rowland