[Samba] 4.17?

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Fri Oct 21 19:25:23 UTC 2022

21.10.2022 22:13, Lorenzo Milesi via samba wrote:
>> What exactly do you want to achieve?
>
> Louis used to provide an APT repo for Debian 10 and 11, and for Ubuntu LTS, with the currently supported Samba versions.
> This means he was providing the latest stable versions of Samba for the current stable versions of Debian and Ubuntu.
>
> My main goal would be to restore something like this, that is a repo for Deb 10+11 and Ubuntu 20+22, with Samba 4.{15,16,17}, and keeping it up to date with Samba releases.

Debian 10 is too old these days, I don't think it's feasible to run
anything on it. Debian 11 is already getting too old :)

What do you want samba 4.15 for?
Why do you want samba 4.16 provided you have samba 4.17?
what's the reason to keep several *samba* versions?

>> For debian itself I do provide backport of current samba for the stable
>> distribution,
>> for stable systems. It is not the latest - like there's no 4.17 for bullseye
>> currently
>> (as in $subject), but it will be available once it feels like 4.17 is settled
>> down a
>> bit.  I think debian is "covered".
>
> I understand your point, which is correct on the distro side. Unfortunately, this doesn't always match the vendor side, which requires you to run a "stable" version of the software to get support.

I don't understand what are you saying.

>> There's no issue whatsoever to provide backports for ubuntu, it is trivial to
>> do, I
>> can build and upload them to my site if there's a need - together with debian
>> packages.
>> Ubuntu tend to perform some modifications (like branding and changes to default
>> smb.conf),
>> which definitely aren't mandatory, - just a rebuild of debian package on ubuntu
>> will do
>> the trick.
>
> That would be great! If you could also have a repo for it, so that others can participate, it would be great.

There's nothing to participate in, really. It is just a matter of an extra
command or two to build a set of packages for other distribution for example.

The question is what exactly we want to achieve - that's what I asked.

/mjt