[Samba] 4.17?

Lorenzo Milesi lorenzo.milesi at yetopen.com
Fri Oct 21 19:42:48 UTC 2022

> Debian 10 is too old these days, I don't think it's feasible to run
> anything on it. Debian 11 is already getting too old :)

I was just saying.
You know, many people, many requirements. I just would like to target the broader audience, as a last commitment.

> What do you want samba 4.15 for?
> Why do you want samba 4.16 provided you have samba 4.17?
> what's the reason to keep several *samba* versions?

As said, many people, many requirements. Maybe someone wants to stick with 4.16 for their own reasons.
IF POSSIBLE, it would be great to offer different opportunities.

>> I understand your point, which is correct on the distro side. Unfortunately,
>> this doesn't always match the vendor side, which requires you to run a "stable"
>> version of the software to get support.
>
> I don't understand what are you saying.

I was simply saying that sometimes distributions requirement are different from vendor requirements.
Often, distro provided Samba versions are not supported by Samba community.
At this time, Bullseye ships 4.16 with backports which is great.

> There's nothing to participate in, really. It is just a matter of an extra
> command or two to build a set of packages for other distribution for example.
>
> The question is what exactly we want to achieve - that's what I asked.

Current goal: provide Samba packages (possibly via apt repo) for stable and maintenance for Debian 11, Ubuntu 20 and 22.
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_Release_Planning

Later on, if it was on me, provide as much as possible historical packages for older Samba versions, as well as Deb and Ubuntu, compatible with shipped distro libraries.
It happened more than once to me to restore a broken system, and not being able to find a package matching the (old) specs.
While Louis provided up to date packages for current distros only (i.e. 4.16 was available for Ubuntu 22 only, iirc), his older packages remained on line on the repo.

Lorenzo Milesi - lorenzo.milesi at yetopen.com
CTO @ YetOpen Srl
YetOpen - https://www.yetopen.com/

Corso Martiri della Liberazione 114 - 23900 Lecco - ITALY - | 4801 Glenwood Avenue - Suite 200 - Raleigh, NC 27612 - USA -
Tel +39 0341 220 205 - info.it at yetopen.com  | Phone +1 919-817-8106 - info.us at yetopen.com

Think green - Non stampare questa e-mail se non necessario / Don't print this email unless necessary

-------- D.Lgs. 196/2003 e GDPR 679/2016 --------
Tutte le informazioni contenute in questo messaggio sono riservate ed a uso esclusivo del destinatario.
Tutte le informazioni ivi contenute, compresi eventuali allegati, sono da ritenere confidenziali e riservate secondo i termini
del vigente D.Lgs. 196/2003 in materia di privacy e del Regolamento europeo 679/2016 - GDPR - e quindi ne e' proibita l'utilizzazione ulteriore non autorizzata.
Nel caso in cui questo messaggio Le fosse pervenuto per errore, La invitiamo ad eliminarlo senza copiarlo, stamparlo, a non inoltrarlo a terzi e ad avvertirci non appena possibile.
Grazie.

Confidentiality notice: this email message including any attachment is for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain confidential and privileged information;
pursuant to Legislative Decree 196/2003 and the European General Data Protection Regulation 679/2016 - GDPR - any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution
is prohibited. If you are not the intended recepient please delete this message without copying, printing or forwarding it to others, and alert us as soon as possible.
Thank you.