[Samba] 4.17?

Lorenzo Milesi lorenzo.milesi at yetopen.com
Fri Oct 21 19:13:15 UTC 2022

> What exactly do you want to achieve?

Louis used to provide an APT repo for Debian 10 and 11, and for Ubuntu LTS, with the currently supported Samba versions.
This means he was providing the latest stable versions of Samba for the current stable versions of Debian and Ubuntu.

My main goal would be to restore something like this, that is a repo for Deb 10+11 and Ubuntu 20+22, with Samba 4.{15,16,17}, and keeping it up to date with Samba releases.

> For debian itself I do provide backport of current samba for the stable
> distribution,
> for stable systems. It is not the latest - like there's no 4.17 for bullseye
> currently
> (as in $subject), but it will be available once it feels like 4.17 is settled
> down a
> bit.  I think debian is "covered".

I understand your point, which is correct on the distro side. Unfortunately, this doesn't always match the vendor side, which requires you to run a "stable" version of the software to get support.

> There's no issue whatsoever to provide backports for ubuntu, it is trivial to
> do, I
> can build and upload them to my site if there's a need - together with debian
> packages.
> Ubuntu tend to perform some modifications (like branding and changes to default
> smb.conf),
> which definitely aren't mandatory, - just a rebuild of debian package on ubuntu
> will do
> the trick.

That would be great! If you could also have a repo for it, so that others can participate, it would be great.

> I don't think there's a real need to provide older samba versions (eg 4.15
> currently,
> or 4.16 once 4.17 is available). Also I don't think there's a real need to
> provide current
> samba packages for older distributions (eg debian buster) - maybe, just maybe
> the ubuntu
> lts, but even that one is questionable, - maybe ubuntu guys can do this rather
> easy work.

I'll be glad to participate, but as previously said, I lack knowledge. I can probably even find a server for storing the apt repo, if needed. And for building as well.

Louis repo was covering several distros and samba version, and was very useful for that. I'd like to have that opportunity back.
Thank you
Lorenzo Milesi - lorenzo.milesi at yetopen.com
CTO @ YetOpen Srl
YetOpen - https://www.yetopen.com/

Corso Martiri della Liberazione 114 - 23900 Lecco - ITALY - | 4801 Glenwood Avenue - Suite 200 - Raleigh, NC 27612 - USA -
Tel +39 0341 220 205 - info.it at yetopen.com  | Phone +1 919-817-8106 - info.us at yetopen.com

Think green - Non stampare questa e-mail se non necessario / Don't print this email unless necessary

-------- D.Lgs. 196/2003 e GDPR 679/2016 --------
Tutte le informazioni contenute in questo messaggio sono riservate ed a uso esclusivo del destinatario.
Tutte le informazioni ivi contenute, compresi eventuali allegati, sono da ritenere confidenziali e riservate secondo i termini
del vigente D.Lgs. 196/2003 in materia di privacy e del Regolamento europeo 679/2016 - GDPR - e quindi ne e' proibita l'utilizzazione ulteriore non autorizzata.
Nel caso in cui questo messaggio Le fosse pervenuto per errore, La invitiamo ad eliminarlo senza copiarlo, stamparlo, a non inoltrarlo a terzi e ad avvertirci non appena possibile.
Grazie.

Confidentiality notice: this email message including any attachment is for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain confidential and privileged information;
pursuant to Legislative Decree 196/2003 and the European General Data Protection Regulation 679/2016 - GDPR - any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution
is prohibited. If you are not the intended recepient please delete this message without copying, printing or forwarding it to others, and alert us as soon as possible.
Thank you.