[Samba] Bind Questions I know you are going to ask:

Zombie Ryushu zombie_ryushu at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 3 15:02:54 UTC 2022

On 6/3/22 10:54, L. van Belle via samba wrote:
> Well, that bind isnt starting when you remove the flat file zone.
> that "is" correct. I tell you why that is..
>
> what is also to be observced that, you need to replace the entries from
> flatfile to bind_DLZ.
> so, why bind_dlz doesn't start, its trying to load a "non-existing" zone.
>
> The fix is, threat this as a new install.
> so, remove smb.conf, stop and provision samba.
>
> My thoughts where right here.
> starting samba without a "provisioned" zone in bind_dlz.
>
> now, after you have provisioned this server, repeat on the others.
> re-read :
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_an_Active_Directory_Dom
> ain_Controller
>
> if you need extra servers with dns services.  *( Not samba-ad-dc's, because
> ad-dc's you just join in the domain. ) Just set a forwarding zone to the
> AD-DC's or slave zones on these other servers.
>
> I hope this helps you.
>
> Greetz,
>
> Louis

I don't have the Resources to setup another constantly running system. I
CAN NOT have two continuously running hardware DNS Servers. I don't have
enough electrical power for that. I can have spares that I can power up
occasionally as backups that are offline most of the time.

I also do not want to create some convoluted Virtualization scheme to
drain my resources. This is the entire reason I did not want to hand DNS
over to Samba.

Additionally I have a bunch of existing users. I will NOT Rip my Domain
to shreds over this.