[Samba] Bind Questions I know you are going to ask:

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Jun 3 15:16:22 UTC 2022

On Fri, 2022-06-03 at 11:02 -0400, Zombie Ryushu via samba wrote:

> I don't have the Resources to setup another constantly running
> system. I
> CAN NOT have two continuously running hardware DNS Servers. I don't
> have
> enough electrical power for that. I can have spares that I can power
> up
> occasionally as backups that are offline most of the time.

I suggest you destroy your 'spares', they will be too far out of date
when you come to use them. I suggest when you fix your AD domain, you
back it up with samba-tool regularly.

> I also do not want to create some convoluted Virtualization scheme
> drain my resources. This is the entire reason I did not want to hand
> DNS
> over to Samba.

Big problem there, a Samba AD DC must be authoritative for the AD dns
domain. Whilst you can use another dns server for your clients, this
dns server must be set up to forward ALL AD domain dns requestts to the
AD DC.
Anything else will lead to problems.

> Additionally I have a bunch of existing users. I will NOT Rip my
> Domain
> to shreds over this.

Don't blame you, but you are going to have to do something, you appear
to be going around in circles.

Rowland