[Samba] Possible memory leak in

Matt Oursbourn moursbourn at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 23:48:29 UTC 2021

I am very new to linux.  I dove into this less than a month ago.  I was
going to try to compile the code from the samba web site but I didn't
really get through all of the instructions.

  I tried to install from  https://apt.van-belle.nl/
I couldn't get that to install either..  Someone was trying to help on
reddit here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/samba/comments/pkn1yn/samba_memory_leak_and_crash/

I did everything in the quick setup instructions at:
https://apt.van-belle.nl/simple-repo-setup.txt

Seems like the only place to screw up is:

sudo echo "deb http://apt.van-belle.nl/ubuntu focal-samba414 main contrib
non-free" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/van-belle.list

..but I think I edited that line correctly.

When I got to the end and ran: sudo apt-get install -t o=AptVanBelle samba

I thought that was supposed to force the install from the repo but it
doesn't. I get this:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
samba is already the newest version (2:4.11.6+dfsg-0ubuntu1.10).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.

Obviously that isn't getting version 4.14.7. I looked into the apt pinning
but I am not understanding how to get that working in Mint. Now I am stuck
and I don't know what I don't know to make this work.

this is my output for: apt-cache policy samba

samba:
    Installed: 2:4.11.6+dfsg-0ubuntu1.10
    Candidate: 2:4.11.6+dfsg-0ubuntu1.10
    Version table:
*** 2:4.11.6+dfsg-0ubuntu1.10 500
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    2:4.11.6+dfsg-0ubuntu1.8 500
        500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-security/main amd64 Packages
    2:4.11.6+dfsg-0ubuntu1 500
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/main amd64 Packages

It was suggest that I purge samba first so I did this:

sudo service smbd stop
sudo apt --purge remove samba
sudo apt-get install -t o=AptVanBelle samba
samba -V

and I seem to be right back where I started: Version 4.11.6-Ubuntu