[Samba] Possible memory leak in

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Sep 9 21:50:02 UTC 2021

Thanks Matt for getting in touch.

On Thu, 2021-09-09 at 14:38 -0700, Matt Oursbourn via samba wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have an issue where samba is not freeing memory. When I start a
> large
> file transfer over a 10Gb network samba jumps up to 20+GB ram usage
> pretty
> quickly. Eventually It fills up all ram and swap and the kernel kills
> Samba.

ouch, that isn't good.

> I can't figure out how to install samba-4.14.7 from the samba website
> test it.

You may want to try the packages that Louis publishes here:
https://apt.van-belle.nl/

Also, it would be great to check if a master build from source still
fails.

However ideally you would know what version last worked without a
memory leak, and build samba 4.14.7 form source do a git bisect (of
source builds) in between to find the regression.  It could take some
time, but is a brute-force way to help us help you.

We did have a memory leak in some crypto code (the leak was in gnutls
actually) but I don't think that was in 4.11.

Andrew Bartlett

Solutions