[Samba] Possible memory leak in

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Sep 10 05:52:27 UTC 2021

On Thu, 2021-09-09 at 16:48 -0700, Matt Oursbourn via samba wrote:
> I am very new to linux.  I dove into this less than a month ago.  I
> was
> going to try to compile the code from the samba web site but I didn't
> really get through all of the instructions.
>
>   I tried to install from  https://apt.van-belle.nl/
> I couldn't get that to install either..  Someone was trying to help
> on
> reddit here:
> https://www.reddit.com/r/samba/comments/pkn1yn/samba_memory_leak_and_crash/
>
> I did everything in the quick setup instructions at:
> https://apt.van-belle.nl/simple-repo-setup.txt
>
> Seems like the only place to screw up is:
>
> sudo echo "deb http://apt.van-belle.nl/ubuntu focal-samba414 main
> contrib
> non-free" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/van-belle.list
>
> ..but I think I edited that line correctly.

Sorry, but you didn't :-)

The line in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/van-belle.list should be:

deb http://apt.van-belle.nl/debian focal-samba414 main contrib non-free

> When I got to the end and ran: sudo apt-get install -t o=AptVanBelle
> samba

And the apt command should be:

apt install samba

If, after you get Samba from Louis's repo installed, you still have the
problem, can you post your smb.conf, the best way is to post the output
of 'testparm -s'. It is unlikely that anything in smb.conf is causing
your problem, but who knows without seeing it.

Rowland