[Samba] More on Group Policy Wiki page

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Oct 22 21:13:56 UTC 2021

On Fri, 2021-10-22 at 15:50 -0500, Patrick Goetz via samba wrote:
> These comments are with reference to
>
>   https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Group_Policy
>
> This boxed comment:
> If you run the command without specifying which DC to use with '-H',
> the
> ADMX templates may be installed on another DC.
>
> which refers to `samba-tool gpo admxload -UAdministrator`
>
> seems muddled. Wouldn't the samba-tool you're running be associated
> with
> a specific DC; i.e. the host which samba-tool is installed on, in
> which
> case omission of the -H flag should always default to the local DC?
> How
> would it randomly write things to a remote URL?

Believe me it does, I ran the command three times on a DC before I
realised why the admx files were not in the DC's sysvol. The command
ran and finished without any errors, but I couldn't find the admx files
on the DC I ran the command on. I finally found them on my other DC, I
had to specify the DC with -H to ensure they were placed on the DC I
ran the command on.

> Immediately following one finds this without context:
>
> To install Microsoft's ADMX templates:
>
>   msiextract /path/to/microsoft/download/Administrative\ Templates\
> \(.admx\)\ for\ Windows\ 10\ October\ 2020\ Update.msi
>   samba-tool gpo admxload -UAdministrator
> --admx-dir=/path/to/extracted/msi/Program\ Files/Microsoft\ Group\
> Policy/Windows\ 10\ October\ 2020\ Update\
> \(20H2\)/PolicyDefinitions/
>

> Samba does not appear to have an msiextract command, so where
> exactly
> would I be running this command?  I can't find the command on my
> Windows
> 10 client, either. I'm left with no idea how or where one might run
> this.

This was added by David Mulder and it appears that 'msiextract' is part
of 'msitools' (Debian package)

Rowland