[Samba] More on Group Policy Wiki page

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Fri Oct 22 20:50:55 UTC 2021

These comments are with reference to

  https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Group_Policy

This boxed comment:
If you run the command without specifying which DC to use with '-H', the
ADMX templates may be installed on another DC.

which refers to `samba-tool gpo admxload -UAdministrator`

seems muddled. Wouldn't the samba-tool you're running be associated with
a specific DC; i.e. the host which samba-tool is installed on, in which
case omission of the -H flag should always default to the local DC? How
would it randomly write things to a remote URL?

Immediately following one finds this without context:

To install Microsoft's ADMX templates:

  msiextract /path/to/microsoft/download/Administrative\ Templates\
\(.admx\)\ for\ Windows\ 10\ October\ 2020\ Update.msi
  samba-tool gpo admxload -UAdministrator
--admx-dir=/path/to/extracted/msi/Program\ Files/Microsoft\ Group\
Policy/Windows\ 10\ October\ 2020\ Update\ \(20H2\)/PolicyDefinitions/

Samba does not appear to have an msiextract command, so where exactly
would I be running this command?  I can't find the command on my Windows
10 client, either. I'm left with no idea how or where one might run this.