[Samba] More on Group Policy Wiki page

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Sat Oct 23 13:43:35 UTC 2021

> On Fri, 2021-10-22 at 15:50 -0500, Patrick Goetz via samba wrote:
>> These comments are with reference to
>>
>>    https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Group_Policy
>>
>> This boxed comment:
>> If you run the command without specifying which DC to use with '-H',
>> the
>> ADMX templates may be installed on another DC.
>>
>> which refers to `samba-tool gpo admxload -UAdministrator`
>>
>> seems muddled. Wouldn't the samba-tool you're running be associated
>> with
>> a specific DC; i.e. the host which samba-tool is installed on, in
>> which
>> case omission of the -H flag should always default to the local DC?
>> How
>> would it randomly write things to a remote URL?
>
> Believe me it does, I ran the command three times on a DC before I
> realised why the admx files were not in the DC's sysvol. The command
> ran and finished without any errors, but I couldn't find the admx files
> on the DC I ran the command on. I finally found them on my other DC, I
> had to specify the DC with -H to ensure they were placed on the DC I
> ran the command on.

OK, but the documentation is a but unclear, simply stating I need to use
the "URL" of the target server.  Is this the FQDN, or can I just use the
hostname?  The relevant question is how is this URL being resolved?

And never mind how horrible this design is.  The exclusion of -H should
always indicate a local installation.  Good grief.