[Samba] Potential inconsistency in Samba DNS server when used with `samba-tool domain join`

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Thu Nov 4 08:50:37 UTC 2021

Hai,

host atomsmasher name resolving (dns)
samba-tool computer list (name resolving AD-objects)
2 different things.

> How do I get the machine out of the Samba DNS so that I can
> see if what
> I observed previously is repeatable? I noticed I didn't have
> a DNS entry
> for this host, so left and rejoined the domain using
> samba-tool several
> times, never getting a DNS entry for it.  Then I joined using
> `net ads
> join` and it was in DNS immediately. I want to see of this is
> repeatable.
>
> I might have to abandon Samba DNS and install bind as per Louis'
> recommendation.  I'm finding the Samba DNS to be hard to work
> with since
> there doesn't seem to be any way to interact with it directly.

If you use the windows tools, you dont see the computer untill you refresh.
With samba tool :
sudo samba-tool dns query YOUR_AD-DC_HOSTNAME(.FQDN) primary-dnsdomainname NAME2CHECKOUT A -UAdministrator

So for you : sudo samba-tool dns query samba-dc ea.linuxcs.com atomsmasher A -UAdministrator

Greetz,

Louis